Saturday, September 23, 2006

Serve'daGoodSite: Booreiland


Just when you think you're getting a handle on this web design thing you see something like Booreiland. I've been on the Anti-Flash Hunger Force lately, but this is so unobtrusive and different. It reminded me of when I first started searching for cool sites (late 90's), marveling at how they were created.

First off, the main image is sick! I love appropriation combined w/ unexpected utilization; they look like a mod rock band. The tone is set right there: we're rock stars, we'll dress your site right! Then more of their attitude is added by the mission statement/anecdote to the right and the name of their portfolio: RESPECTABLE & SUPERDELUXE. I'm a huge fan of incorporating yourselves into your work as much as possible. There are so many designers/artists/creators out there that are "me too" that personable work stands out. Not everyone likes it, but you have to ask yourself, would you want to work for/with someone that doesn't feel remotely similar? Don't get me wrong, for a crapload of cash I'll stand in line, wear a grey jumpsuit, and look like everyone else!

Navigation through the portfolio is sweet as well. Every image is displayed in a tannish monotone, but when activated, the same image drops down, but in full color. That was completely unexpected. The site is available in both English and Dutch since they're Nederlanders.

The work speaks for itself. Very solid. Take a look at the personal site of Wimer (one of the founders of Booreiland): MONOKAI. He does some ridiculous Flash animation. He also programs a mean beat in the music section.

The clock has to be my favorite part. At first it's the only indication that this isn't just XHTML and CSS. I still wasn't convinced that it was Flash so I had to right-click just to find out. Like I said, unobtrusive.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home