Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Back to the future (sorry...)

It's interesting to watch the changes in web design since the medium is so new at least in design terms. When it started there wasn't much to look at other than hideously colored HTML text sites. Yet they were getting the job done delivering information in any way they could. I haven't done a ton of research on the different stages that the web has gone through, but the latest switch has been a contridiction of sorts.

We've gone from displaying the technology and advances that programming, hardware, and internet speeds had fostered, to going on a crash diet looking lean and mean. Flash intros were obviously so abused that this new direction was inevitable but somehow I feel that going retro so soon is too abrupt. Flash isn't gone, it's just more integrated. You'll see it in the navigation interface, as well as replacing the sinfully ugly tag that I used in my site. There's still some motion used, but it's way toned down.

The new web "2.0" in addition to ultra-clean design and layout is also striving for efficient and standardized coding. So it still reeks of modernization and forward progress. It looks great and loads like early HTML w/ a BB connection. I think that for my AIO class I'm going to redo my portfolio site in this style. I'm interested in seeing how that would turn out.

I do miss the days of discovering all the dope Flash sites back in '99 (for me) waiting for my dial-up to finally load them. Once I got broadband, it was like mainlining narcotics 24/7! Change is good though.

I'm still mainlining narcotics unfortunately... NO! I just kid you! Is joke!


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home