Thursday, September 28, 2006

Big Ass Pants: Design Observation

All growed up or dead style?
This is something near and dear to my heart, since I was a part of the Hobo skateboard style of the early 90's. Yes, I said hobo. We were trying to look like shit, and we did a great job of it. In fact I didn't relinquish my big ass style until about a year or two ago. Granted it was more refined, but my pants still were saggin'.

I started thinking about this today after looking over Andy Howell's book Art, Skateboarding and Life. He was largely responsible for bringing urban styled art to skateboarding in general. The New Deal skate company was the nexus for it all. Their graphics, ads, videos, and clothing were all tool of influence. But this is about big ass pants, and they made jeans called "Big Deals". They were huge. They had the ND sun logo on the top of the pocket by your belt which was my favorite thing about them. I had them in grey, and dirty, crap brown. Both of them had no hems on the bottom so the jeans were eternally coming unravelled; extra dirty steelo!

Anyway, seeing kids, and or adults wearing baggy clothing now just seems outdated. I can't figure if it's just me knowing that I have to conform a little and look the part if I want to have a successful career, or are big clothes just plain stupid? Skateboarding has always been on the cutting edge of many style types, but big isn't hot now; tight ass punk rock jeans are in now. Slim styles that I could never imagine myself skating in are normal. Now here I am w/ a pair of fitted jeans in a size 34 where in the past I was looking at 38s'. In fact, these 34s are a little loose!

Here's a little add-on story re: skate clothing sizes. I was "downair en Ballmar" (Baltimore) skating in Fell's Point w/ a couple of my friends and some of the local pros' when celebrity Ballmar skater Bucky Lasek rolls up wearing a pair of light blue jeans, and a nearly fitted white undershirt. We looked at him like he was crazy for not wearing the idiotic clothes we were, but that my friends was a turning point in skate style. W/in a year we were all wearing normal colored blue jeans, white (normal sized) shirts, and my favorite to this day, white skate shoes. Nice, clean and efficient.

I hate getting older. But I have to admit I'm coming around on the mature clothing style. Too bad nothing else is following.


Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home